Monday, June 6, 2011

The Smurfs - Racist and Anti-Semitic?

My mind was just blown. In scouring the internet for articles, I came across one from the Huffington Post about The Smurfs. The article is about a book, written by French sociologist and author Antoine Bueno, called "Le Petit Livre Bleu" or "The Little Blue Book," which discusses the racist and anti-semitic themes within The Smurfs. 


Papa Smurf - Benevolent Leader or Cruel Dictator?
I'm not sure how to feel about this. There are some interesting points made. The comments about "The Black Smurfs" were especially disturbing , but overall, I'm just not sure. I really want to get my hands on this book because I love The Smurfs. They are a happy part of my childhood. I still have many of my old toys. I love them enough that I am seriously considering seeing the movie, even though I am fairly positive that it will be a flop (there are some things Neil Patrick Harris cannot make better), but now I am looking at them in a whole other light. 


I know a lot of beloved pop culture characters have dark or twisted origins, but this one bothers me a little more than I'd like, mostly because other than the weirdness with Smurfette being the only female for the longest time, The Smurfs were one of the few cartoons I never really saw a dark side to. Goes to show what I know. I wonder if the Snorks have those kind of themes too.


Below is a video about the book and the reactions of people hearing this theory.





What do you think? Plausible theory or just plain looniness? 


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

2 comments:

  1. wow i really liked the smurfs,but the racist part is all uncalled for

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Smurfs in their current form are racist, but I can see how the older versions could be seen that way. Either way, I think this is a very interesting point of view.

    ReplyDelete