Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hunger Games - Katniss' Fire Dress

The release of The Hunger Games is only about three months away, so naturally excitement is building. I'm trying to keep on top of the info that's coming out, because I love the books (currently on my fifth rereading of the trilogy), and I came across this article on InStyle magazine's website depicting several big name designers vision of the infamous fire dress. This is the outfit that introduces Katniss as "The Girl on Fire" and is one of the more highly anticipated moments of the movie. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to big moments in adapted works and I want them "as is" when on the screen. Some of the designs are not that at all but they are beautiful, and a few I would love to see on the runways. Here's a peek.




This is my favorite avant-garde design. It's by The Blonds and as you can see, they certainly capture the "on fire" aspect of the outfit. Aside for the book calling for something simpler, my biggest reason for why this isn't the right design for the movie is by making it so extreme now, it would make it very difficult to top this when part 2 comes out and Katniss is outfitted in something far more extravagant that the first fire outfit.




Then there is this design from Tadashi Shoji. I fell in love with this dress. It's gorgeous. I want to wear it. It's just not what the book describes. Not even close. However, I believe this dress should be made. I think it would be popular.


So did any of these designers come close? Any of them capture the feel of the book while creating a piece that could translate well to the screen? There were three designers I think came close - Christian Siriano, Christian Cota, and Charlotte Ronson. The Christians designs were wonderful. They kept it simple, true to the color scheme (black) and made it look good, but ultimately, I think it is this by Ronson that wins my vote.




Katniss does not really wear a dress in the book. She wears a simple black unitard with lace up boots and a cape that's lit on fire. This interpretation is true to the book but is altered just enough that it would look incredible on screen. It would make the splash it's supposed.


What do you think, gentle readers? Do you like these or do you have a different preference? Does this make you more excited for the movie? To see the other designs, check out the article here, and let us know what you think.


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

4 comments: