Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Fuck, I’m a Brony


Look, I didn’t mean for it to happen. It just did. I had a lot of free time over the summer, so I figured I’d try a new show. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic seemed like a good ideaIt's a popular show with a huge fanbase, plus my niece has been watching it, and it's nice to have more things to talk about with her. 

I grew up with the original MLP (yes, I am completely dating myself), and I loved it. I had so many ponies and the stable. It was one of the few buildings I ever own (my brother got Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain, I got Care-A-Lot and the MLP stable. Not sure if that was really fair, but that’s a different story), and to this day, giving them up is one of my biggest toy related regrets. I went into MLP: FIM skeptical as to whether or not it would live up to my expectations. Surprise, surprise, it did. Here are my thoughts on the show. 


1. It took a long time for me to appreciate the look of the show. I was used to a more realistic style of animation, and its cartoony nature was a little off putting at first. However, the consistency of the animation won me over, and I realized a lot of my reluctance towards it had to do with my expectations. I had to ask myself if I would enjoy its look if I wasn’t comparing it to the original series. The answer was yes. If this was a completely original show, I would. That went a long way to helping me see the show for what it really was.

2. The lessons in friendship eventually started to annoy me. They're usually good lessons, but I can only hear "Dear Princess Celestia" so many times before I want to start punching something. I actually liked when they changed things up a little and made Twilight Sparkle a spoiler alert princess. I don’t know if I actually like the storyline, but I appreciate them trying to keep things interesting. 

3. Speaking of princesses – Why are they princesses? Why aren’t they queens? Are there kings and princes? What’s up with the royal lineage? 

4. I love Discord. That is all.

5.The pop culture references are fantastic. They’re fun for the kids and a treat for the adults. They also help keep the adults interested. And yes, I own a Dr. Whooves. 

6. If I were a pony, I would be FlutterPie, but I have no clue what my cutie mark would be. 

Naturally, because I’m a glutton for punishment, after I finished watching MLP: FIM, I was compelled to check out the Equestria Girls movies. They weren’t as bad as I thought they would be. The storytelling and animation were solid. I even enjoyed the music in Rainbow Rocks. Everyone looked pretty weird, but not as weird as the merchandise has made them out to be. I think my biggest critique, storywise, is that I would like to see a little more crossover in Ponyville with Twilight Sparkle’s crush's pony equivalent. 

That said, my biggest gripe overall is that Equestria Girls feels like a blatant money grab. As I was watching the movies, I could point out exactly what was going to be sold and even how it was going to be marketed. I expect merchandising, but to be that obvious is just a slap in the face to the people who will be putting down the money. I found myself resenting that, and it took away from the experience. Yes, I know I’m not the intended audience, but I am among those that will be shelling out money, so yeah, I didn’t like that.  

Overall, MLP: FIM gets my seal of approval, despite my desire not to give it. I did not want to enjoy it as much as I did. I did not want to find myself engaging in conversations with other older fans. I did not want to find myself buying a few of the toys. But I did. I embraced the ponies so hard. Even though the show got a little less cohesive around season 4, it’s still solid enough, like Jello, solid but wiggly. For a reboot, MLP: FIM was and is a pleasant surprise. It’s the standout among reboots like Pound Puppies, Rainbow Brite, or the unforgivable Strawberry Shortcake.  

I am a Brony (or Pegasister, if you insist on gendering the fans). I didn’t mean for it to happen, but I’m glad that it did. I wouldn’t have it any other way.  

1 comment:

  1. On behalf of all the Bronies, I would like to officially welcome you to the Brony fandom! I've been a Brony since 2012, and I've been loving every minute of it.

    I don't know if you've been to FIMFiction.net as of yet, but I actually have quite the blogging presence there. I write episode review blogs for every episode that's aired so far. If you're interested, you could check it out here: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/MariusIoannesP

    ReplyDelete