Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Random Thoughts: Am I the Only One Who Noticed Snape taught Harry his Signature Move?

So, I'm going through one of my annual Harry Potter rereads, and after reading the Chamber of Secrets for the gazillionth time, it hit me. Snape taught Harry "Expelliarmus." The spell that went on to become Harry's "signature" move was introduced to him by a man he loathed.

When I say I've read the books a gazillion times, I'm only sort of exaggerating. Okay, I'm exaggerating a lot, but I really do reread the series at least once a year, usually two or three times, depending on how busy that year is. This is the first time I've made this connection. Maybe I'm a little slow, but whenever I see a post or listicle with Potter facts, I'm all over them, and I can't recall ever coming across anyone saying anything about the SnapeExpelliarmus connection.



When you think about it, it's kind of a big deal. It's probable Harry would have learned this spell eventually, but he learned it from Snape, a man he despised until the very end. It's a tiny, but powerful connection. Even when it appeared as though Snape was doing everything in his power to screw up with Harry, he was still saving him, and it was because of that spell. 

Also, when you consider Harry used "Expelliarmus" to kill Voldemort, one could say Snape not only helped betray old Voldy, but he had an indirect impact on his death. Yes, he was playing the double agent for Dumbledore, but I think of that role as a third-degree-to-saving-Potter, where this is more of a second-degree-to-saving-Potter. 

Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should. After all, the thought just apparated into my head, but I like it. What do you think? 


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment