Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: Batman '66 #1


By Reboot


Today I'm going over issue #1 of the digital-first now in print Batman '66.  This new look at this iconic incarnation of Batman is written by Jeff Parker and illustrated by Jonathan Case.  The cover is drawn by Mike Allred and colored by Laura Allred.  I made that a separate sentence because it's the Allred's and they are incredible.  I don't think I need to explain myself any further. 

Let me start by saying that I was interested in this idea the first time I heard about it.  Enough time has passed since the show, and the darker incarnation of Batman that has come since has solid standing leaving plenty of room to revisit the campier side of things.  And not only did I want to see this get done, but the people working on it very clearly wanted to see this happen.  From cover to cover, the enthusiasm is using from the pages for this project and as a reader I can't appreciate this enough.

Now, delving deeper than a glance through, the writing really stands out and makes this story work.  Jeff Parker clearly worked hard on this script to make it read from the appropriate time period, while also being paced like a book that's coming out today.  And, like books from '66 and the tv series this comic is guided by, we get to enjoy a self contained story.  In a time where Batman is in more than a dozen books a month tied deep into the continuity, it is always refreshing to read a nice one two punch of pure fun without being bogged down by all that continuity baggage.  Don't get me wrong, I love deep and intricate continuity (I'm a Legion of Superheroes fan to put that in perspective), but it is nice to enjoy an issue that starts and ends a story with a nice little bow tie and leaves me feeling satisfied while still looking forward to more.

Jonathan Case's art takes this book to the next level.  His illustrations and colors in this book pop unbelieveably well.  This book perfectly captures the feel of the intended time and makes it better.  It's so gorgeous I wish I could have every single individual panel as a painting hanging in my home.  

I strongly recommend any Batman fan to either get the digital version or pick up this book at your local shop.  Anyone whose looking to get a younger kid into Batman (it's rated E for everyone) or anyone whose not really into the whole superhero thing should give this a shot too.  It's a beautiful book with a lot of heart and deserves your attention.


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment