Friday, October 11, 2013

NYCC '13 Day 1 Recap

Yesterday, New York Comic Con '13 kicked off. This year, they're doing things a little different. Con attendees have to go through a security checkpoint and get their badges checked in. I wasn't sure if it would cause problems for people trying to get in, but at the time we arrived, it seemed to be working. This was created to help cut down people trying to use counterfeit passes, and it made things feel a little more organized, which is always nice.

Wilderowens and I started the day in the queue line. Haven't had that experience in a while, and it was a good reminder as to what it feels like to be jam packed with a bunch of people who are all excited to go to the same place as you. Some of the costumes I saw on line were amazing. I just wish I could have gotten some pictures, but everyone was moving too fast, and I'm too short to get good overhead shots. 



My stash
Once they let us in, Wilderowens and I split up. I normally quickly walk around the floor to get a lay of the land then try to find panels I want to go to. This year, I decided to do things a little differently. I met up with a friend and proceeded to do something I almost never do first day of Con. We walked to the back of the exhibitor floor to where they sell the toys. There I proceeded to expand my Toy Biz 90's X-Men collection. I got a great price and left very happy. 

After that, I just wandered around the floor, checking out as many things as I can. I saw some great costumes - 


Look who I found

After walking around for a while, I met up with more friends, had dinner, then proceeded to check out The Block. Met the people behind Einhorn's Epic Cookies, sampled them, and discovered that pairing comics with cookies is a good idea. Walked by I Heart Guts and saw the cutest organs on the market, black or otherwise, and then I finished the night by wandering over to Artist's Alley, seeing some people, and meeting up with Wilderowens so we could trade stories. Overall, it was a good first day. I'm not used to not going to any panels, but I'm glad I didn't because I probably wouldn't have done as much exploring. 

The only regret I have for last night was I walked by The Nerd Machine's Lounge and saw Zachary Levi there, and I didn't get an opportunity to take a picture. Wilderowens saw the cast of Haven hanging out there as well. If you're in the area, you should check the lounge out. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. 

Wilderowens started her day wandering the floor (She spotted Coulson's Lola!) before it became a DC themed day. First, she picked up the disco themed Nightwing mini print from Christopher Jones (plus one to give away). Then she got an autograph from from DC writer Charles Soule. She also attended the world premiere of Necessary Evil: Super Villains of DC Comics, then ended her day with an autograph from Scott Snyder.

Now it's time to get ready for today. Look for us if you're at NYCC!

Tired Cosplayers heading home


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!






No comments:

Post a Comment