Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: Prime-8's #1

By Reboot

Today, I'm reviewing all digital publisher Monkey Brain Comics new series, Prime-8's #1.  This series is brought to you by Michael Moreci and Steve Seeley, the co-writers and co-creators of this series that premiered with their successful Kickstarter project that I also reviewed, Mini-Comics Included.  This full length series now has art by Kyle Latino and Jordan Gibson.

Before I go into my review, I have to briefly discuss my love of monkeys doing people things.  I have fond memories of being over my great uncle's house watching old VHS recordings of the Planet of the Apes' movies in the late 80's and early 90's.  Additionally, I spent many an hour watching Lancelot Link with my dad growing up.  If you don't know what Lancelot Link is, go internet it.  In short, monkeys make great people, and after having read Prime-8's, I can also say monkeys make great comics.


If you were a child of the 80's, have any degree of 80's cartoon nostalgia, or really mid-late 70's through early 90's too, this comic will jive with you.  It is filled with puns, witty banter, bumbling henchmen, a general public that's confused about our heroes, and a soap opera team dynamic.  Michael and Steve cleverly guide us through this first adventure by covering up plot exposition with team drama for most of the issue, particularly the second half.  The first two pages are done as a narrative to catch you up to speed, but it's just two pages and you needed it anyway, guys and gals.

Now to the art.  Not to put the illustrator down at all, because I'm not, but what really sells this comic for me is the coloring.  The palette is ideal for the setting and feel that they desired to convey.  The dulled, fairly uncomplicated color scheme and right amount of shading made me have flashbacks to He-Man, Voltron, and other cartoons while reading as well as a bit of James Bond too ("No, Mr. Z, I expect you to die.").

There are many comics that are coming out lately that tap into these kind of settings and add their own spin to it.  Michael Moreci and Steve Seeley are master craftsmen of nostalgia comics.  If you want a comic that is both smart and uncomplicated, as well as fun yet dramatic, you will find it with Prime 8's #1 on 11/20.

No comments:

Post a Comment