Tuesday, February 4, 2014

[IGH] At the Movies: The Lego Movie


Last weekend, Wysefyre and I got the chance to see the most anticipated movie of February, The Lego Movie!!  It's out in theaters on February 7th but I was just dying to share my thoughts about why you need to see this movie.

The story follows regular ol' minifig Emmett, who accidentally gets caught up in a prophecy to stop the evil Lord Business in his plot to destroy the universe! Along his journey, he meets a fun cast of new and old characters who help or hurt him in his quest.


I freaking loved this movie. The story was funny, thrilling and touching at all the right moments. I immediately cared about the characters and wanted to see what happened next. And, oh do I wish I could spoil you on the major plot twist. I won't but just lemme tell you, it was perfect.  The cast was really phenomenal. Chris Pratt really carried the film as main character Emmett.  He showed great voice acting chops with the definite growth his character goes through. My acting favs were definitely Liam Neeson as Bad Cop and Alison Brie as UniKitty. Neeson just hit it so damn well. You could hear him loving this role. Brie always has great voices to use (watch Community!) and this was no different. UniKitty was just fun and had some good comic relief moments.



Now, the animation. They used a combo of stop motion and CGI. In addition, everything you see is an actual Lego piece. From the buildings to the animals to the smoke to the laser blasts. (Fun side note: the laser blasts were the lightsaber blades!) That made these the effects great to see. I saw it in 3-D and I liked how it was used to also give definition to the blocks rather than to just throw the action at you. However, it is not 3-D throughout the film, so if you aren't a big animation person, you will enjoy it just as much in 2D. Probably. If you do go the 3-D route, I recommend staying for the credits. No extra scenes but they look cool. Hard to read but cool.

I have to give a moment to the soundtrack. They wrote a few songs for this movie and one in particular gets a lot of play. It's safe to say "Everything Is Awesome" is the anthem of this film. With at least three different versions of this song in the movie and credits, it's hard not to fall in love with it. Plus, it's been stuck in my head since I saw the movie. There is also a "Batman" song in the movie that I cannot wait to buy so I can hear the whole thing. I know that sounds vague, but I can't spoil that for ya. 



As an adult, I would caution bringing young children. There were moments that very small kids were getting very frightened or confused. I would guess minimum age should be 8 years old. Maybe a mature 7 but no younger.

In case you couldn't figure it out, I am saying go to this movie!! The Lego Movie is everything we could have hoped for and more. Yes, this could be viewed as a really long commercial but that's just not the case. It really is an entertaining story. The best thing I could say ever say is "Everything is Awesome!"




Check out a short clip of the movie (which includes a bit of that song I'm rocking out to....) to get you excited!



Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment