Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Jack the Giant Slayer


This past Wednesday, Mister Jackal from InnerCity Geeks and I got a chance to see Jack the Giant Slayer before it hit theaters.  The film, based on the classic fairy-tale stars Nicholas Hoult, Eleanor Tomlinson, Ewan McGregor, and Stanley Tucci.

See what we thought of the latest fairytale story.

Wilderowens' Review

To be honest, I'm already kinda over this latest fairy-tale fad.  Like most things, too much is a bad thing.  So I wasn't expecting much from Jack the Giant Slayer.  While it wasn't the best movie ever, I enjoyed it.  The  film didn't try to overdo the story and accepted its heritage.  They had a great opening origin story that set the stage, pulling from the original fairy-tale but adding a little substance.  My favorite addition was that four of the giants were named Fee, Fye, Foe and Fumm.  Just an awesome touch.  My only issue with the story was the inconsistency with the story.  Some characters, like Stanley Tucci's Roderick or Ralph Brown's General Entin, were incredibly exaggerated but other characters weren't.  It made points of the movie seem out of place.

This movie made me realize two points.  One, Nicholas Hoult is only going to get more popular, so I hope he is ready for it.  Two, this was the first film that I have actually appreciated the 3-D.  I'm one of those people that get headaches from 3-D, so that does affect my opinion of it but the effects were particularly wonderful. Very worth seeing, especially as 3-D IMAX!




Mister Jackal's Review

Who isn't a fan of fairy tales? So, when I first saw the trailer for Jack the Giant Slayer, I was really excited! Then I sat through Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, which left me with a bitter taste in my mouth and was worried about this one. Nicholas Hoult did a very good job and was very convincing as a farm boy turned hero. Eleanor Tomlinson was good as the damsel in distress that isn't afraid to get down and dirty. Ewan McGregor played a character similar to the one we already have seen in Star Wars prequels but wasn't too over the top, in my opinion. Stanley Tucci was a decent villain that could of been developed a little more but was still bad ass. This film was beautifully rendered. Even though there is a lot of CG, it doesn't take away from the action and adds more depth to the story. One of my favorite things in this film was the opening sequence that explains the myth of the giants and sets everything up for what is to come. I really enjoyed this film and definitely recommend this to anyone that is looking for a fun adventure that has lots of heart. 4/5




Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment